Directory

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Top Ten Tuesdays: Comic Book Movies

With April right around the corner and the movie Kick-Ass about to hit theaters along with Iron-Man 2 i decided that this week I will be giving you my top 10 Comic Book Movies because that list is most likely about to change. I will no doubt piss a few people off with my choices but i will give you my reasons for why I chose these particular movies. Here goes nothing.

10. Punisher: War Zone

Yes I had to put Punisher in there. you may think this movie is cheese filled but I think its fucking awesome, sure I can do without the ramblings of Doug Hutchinson as Looney Bin Jim but besides his annoying ass character the rest of the movie was great. It reminded me a lot of Garth Ennis' Punisher Max which all of you who've read it know it kicks ass. Punisher doesn't try to be an oscar winning movie it tries to be a fun ridiculous movie and it succeeds, if you don't take War Zone seriously you will enjoy it so if you've seen this movie and didn't enjoy it watch it again and remember what I said.











9. Spider-Man

Let me start by saying I love this movie because it showed the movie industry that comic books are a serious media and have potential to be great movies. That being said I think this movie is overrated... go ahead gasp yell what ever you have to do NOW LISTEN. Spider-Man was good yes but it has a lot of flaws one being the cast Tobey Mguire and Kirsten Dunst just didn't do it for me. First of all they look too old to be in high school, look at Superbad i feel like that movie is the only movie I know that gets the look of High schoolers down. Second Kirsten Dunst is just unbearable, I hate her face and I just can't stand her and Tobey Mguire is not that good of an actor just look at Spider-Man 2 and 3 those movies just plain suck and Mguire's acting is part of the reason why. Aside from those two cast members my two main reasons for not loving this movie to death are simple 1. Green Goblins costume sucked big balls and 2. No God damn Gwen Stacey, why wait until the third movie for Peters first true love. GOD!!!




8. X-Men 2

This movie kicked ass for two reasons Nightcrawler and Wolverine its a shame that didn't last, after this movie Nightcrawler didn't want to be in the third film because he didn't like the make up (suck it up bitch you were Nightcrawler) and Wolverine just started to suck because of bad writing (I wish origins could be erased from my memory). Yeah it sucks that the X-Men only had this one good film but damn was it good.














7. 300

If you are looking for a faithful transfer from paper to silver screen this is the most accurate comic book adaptation I have ever seen  and a good movie to boot. The acting is good, the story is spot on, and the visuals were original and mind blowing. I can honestly say I have nothing bad to say about this movie. I hate that damn hunchback though.















6. V for Vendetta

When I saw the preview for this movie i was like "haha what the hell is this crap. bullet time knives hahaha" I would have slapped myself if I could go back in time (I didn't know of the comic back then). This movie was Amazing I feel like it was better than Alan Moore's comic, yeah i said it. It was more simplified than the convoluted comic book, don't get me wrong I liked the comic but it got so dull at some points that i had to put it down and read IronMan to wake me up again. At one point this was my favorite comic book movie, it successfully told the story of the comic book while improving on it.











5. The Incredible Hulk

Thank you Marvel for burying that horrible abomination (no pun intended) Hulk. This movie was flawless in terms of visual effects, acting, and telling the story of a man with an unstoppable raging beast that dwells within him. Edward Norton did a great job of portraying both Bruce Banner and his better half the Hulk. He brought a personality to Bruce that felt like the comic books, you didn't see just a man with a problem you saw a man trying to solve his problem with his experience as a scientist. You could feel that Banner had a life before this movie that he had a history of trying to deal with his rage. Plus you hear general ross talk about Captain America.










4.Iron Man

When I first heard they were making an Iron Man movie I was like how the hell are they going to do this. Then I heard they were casting Robert Downey Jr. and Jeff Bridges then I heard Marvel got there own studios and this was the first of many Marvel movies, so needless to say I went from being like this movie's going to blow to Oh man I can't wait to see this damn movie. Man were my instincts right, this movie blew me away Downey Jr. was the only man that could have played Tony Stark the same for the rest of the cast except for Terrence Howard. His voice pissed me off so bad throughout the whole movie he sounded and acted like a pansy and when he was running down the stairs saying "Tonay Tonay" I actually got embarrassed in the theater so thank God they
re-casted  him in Iron Man 2 with Don Cheadle. Overall Iron Man was the best Marvel movie to date lets see if Iron Man 2 can top it on May 7th.






3. Batman Begins

What can I say about Batman Begins... It started the best telling of Batman's story on the big screen, it made Christopher Nolan a household name, and it gave us the Batman voice. When i first saw Batman Begins I wasn't really following any of the media (because of the last installments of Batman movies) so I wasn't too exited but when the movie came on I immediately knew I was in for something special. This movie took Batman and put him in the shadows where he belonged it also locked in place his relationships with characters of the comics. Batman/Bruce Wayne's relationships with Gordon, Alfred, and Lucius Fox were as deep and well played out as the source material you really got the feeling that this could happen and thats why the movie was so good... Because it put Batman in our world it made us Believe.








2. Watchmen

I know it wasn't exactly like the comic. I know the squid wasn't in there. I hear the complaints all the damn time but hell Watchmen knocked me on my ass. The movie itself is very close to the comic its not perfect but it gets the main idea across. People who didn't like this movie expected too much from it and nothing would have satisfied them. I agree that the squid should have been in it but realistically i know it would have made the movie at least another hour longer just to make the audience understand why there's a giant alien in central park. Squid aside I think Schneider did the best that anyone could have done making this movie even if the comic wasn't done to the T.










1. The Dark Knight

Do I even have to talk about this? If you havnt seen this movie your either blind or don't know your head from your ass. So just go see it and save me 5 minutes of trying to explain how flawless this movie is.

















Honerable Mention:
American Splendor            Superman
The Rocketeer                   Nick Fury: Agent of Shield
Batman                              Batman Returns

1 comment:

  1. Watchmen bloooows a huge load, 300 is my fave. i think you should change your top 10 because its WRONG

    ReplyDelete