Directory

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Top Ten Tuesdays: Ongoing Series (comics)

Ok here we are, the first top ten Tuesday. In this weeks post I'm going to give you my top ten on going comics as of now.

#10. X-Force

When X-Force first kicked off I was exited to see Wolverine and his clone Laura (X-23) together but as time went on the team grew and the story got deeper it brought me to care about other characters such as Vanisher and Elixir. Now were in the final days of Necrosha which dragged a bit which is why its at #10 but second coming is on the horizon and I have a feeling X-Force is going to be the book to read when Hope returns to the X-Men. 













#9. Cable

Since the first issue of Cable I was hooked, as a child he was always one of my favorites along side Wolverine, Night Crawler, and Deadpool so I was excited that he was getting a new ongoing. To my satisfaction the book kicked ass and I kept with it since. The only gripe I have with this book is that they changed artists i mean its not bad by any means but im a huge fan of Ariel Olivetti. With second coming right around the corner Cable and Hope's story is about to get more interesting and possibly catastrophic if bishop was right.












#8. The Walking Dead

Oh The Walking Dead.... it was the first comic that got me into comics. Its the one that took my wallet and never let go. Because of The Walking Dead I am now doomed to waste countless dollars on comic books week after painful week..... And i cant thank Robert Kirkman enough for writing such a perfect book. This book is incredible if your not reading it your missing out on a gritty and emotionally devastating book. What I mean is your favorite character can die at anytime, even after you've grown attached to them Kirkman has no problem having them sentenced to death. 

It seems like now Robert Kirkman is slowing things down but if you read this comic you know that there is something whether it be Zombies or Crazy governors waiting around the corner. 







#7. Wolverine: Weapon X

Like I said Before Wolverine was always one of my favorite characters in the Marvel universe even when i didn't read comics, so when I heard the great Jason Aaron was going to be writing his new ongoing I nearly crapped myself. Aaron has never disappointed his work on the mini series The Other Side from Vertigo comics was brilliant. Aaron also wrote the Wolverine arc "Get Mystique" in the Wolverine comic which has since turned into Dark Wolverine. Back on topic, this is how Wolverine should be written as a complete bad ass but with a conscience and deep rooted morals.











#6. New Avengers

What can I say about New Avengers... It has taken us from before Civil War through Secret Invasion and now into Siege. This comic written by legendary scribe Brian Michael Bendis has been Marvels most important team since 2005, holding there big events together and making the side of anti registration even more interesting. Now that Captain America (Steve Rogers) is Back things are about to change. Since Civil War comic readers have been wondering when the heroes will putt aside there differences and come together again to fight a common enemy. That enemy is Norman Osborn and Siege is the event that will lead into Marvels new Heroic Age finally bringing the heroes back together and changing up the teams this will mark the end of these New Avengers and the start of a new team.








#5. Punisher Max

I don't have much to say about punisher max except that Jason Aaron Kicks serious ass. Aaron knows what it takes to write the Punisher, and with the art of Steve Dillon who provided the art for "Preacher" it makes for an unstoppable team.
















#4. Spider-Woman

Bendis does it again. You give Brian Michael Bendis any character and he will make you follow every issue untill it is over. Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is tormented by what the alien invaders known as the Skrull did to her and her reputation. After being abducted and being replaced by the Skrull queen Jessica Drew is back on a post Secret Invasion Earth and she's ready to get revenge by killing some Skrulls. If you're looking for a typical super hero story your in the wrong place. This is more of a noir style story which is gripping and deep, it gets the reader in touch with who Jessica Drew really is and how she feels about the whole stealing her identity thing. Overall when I buy comics and this is in the pile this is the first comic i read.










#3. The Vengeance of Moon Knight

I never really cared for the Moon Knight I didn't really know much about him, hell I was always told that he wasn't worth reading. I thought there was no potential for the character, oh how wrong I was. Moon Knight surprised the hell out of me all thanks to writer Gregg Hurwitz and artist Jerome Opena. This comic quickly turned into one of my favorite ongoing books, its about a guy named Marc Spector who is struggling to keep his new image of a non lethal super hero intact, but the Bushman is back from the dead and he's here to break Marc Spector in more than one way. 











#2. Thor

Thor. Just his name personifies greatness just like his ongoing series. Thor is simply one of Marvels best right now it is written beautifully and drawn just as well, the current story is especially interesting and its not even mainly about Thor. As of now Thor is mainly about the balance of power in Asgard and the Siege of Asgard. With Norman Osborn taking down Thor where left to wonder what will happen next and how will this all end...













#1. The Invincible Iron Man

2010 is the year for Iron Man. With Iron Man 2 on the way and the comic's Stark Disassembled arc over were looking at a pretty interesting year. Tony Stark will soon introduce his new Iron Man armor to the readers of Marvel comics and help kick off the new Heroic Age of Marvel. That being said since Invinciible Iron Man started every issue has been perfection, hell it won the best new series Eisner Award. Not much else needs to be said unless of course your not reading this I have one thing to say. What are you doing reading comics if your not reading Iron Man.











Honorable Mention:
Spider-man, Captain America
And I'm Sorry DC fans but I cant stand most of DC's characters except for Batman, Green Lantern, and very rarely Superman but I know Blackest night is kicking some ass so here are my honorable mentions to the two good DC books.
Batman and Robin, Green Lantern

No comments:

Post a Comment